Thursday 13 October 2016

What is Going On

Nothing has changed.
Not true, there has been change but in the world of mental health, legislation, and on an individual basis; what's changing? Still only G8 country without a national suicide strategy

Lots of awesome new start ups and I understand that with every start up or any group raising awareness you need funding and I naturally we are lacking funding.
Has no one been touched by mental illness? Addiction? Suicide? Or are we Canadians too tuned into the Hilary and Trump debate to care about our fellow sufferes who need our help and have for some time now. I'm not here to blame anyone. I'm hear to rant about the fact that nothing is being said to these students. And nothing is being done. These are our future, your daughter or son, nephew or niece.
Who is going out there and speaking to them about what they are feeling and maybe why? Normalize this.

I picked up my school news paper this week and page 4 reads "Possible Ontario wide strategy to be implemented to the growing number of mental health cases on campus."
I was that case
I am that case

Depression, anxiety and suicidal ideation has all increased and of course there are not enough counsellors as there are students. So, if you're lucky to get an appointment (to no fault of the institutions own) you're gonna have to wait about a month or two. Good luck!

This funding seemingly should help fund a strategy that would help aid schools in the growing accommodations.

We already know by 2020 almost the entirety of society will have or be in risk of developing a mentnsl illness so why are we just throwing money at it? So other people can come up with the ideas that are all already out there? NO

We need action. We need someone to go in there and say look I've been exactly where you are and it's likely one of the loneliest and scariest places you never knew existed, but I'll tell you something- you're still you and youre sure as hell not alone.

I'm not going to even get into what the solutions are like treatment because that's long term. Short term remember who you are. The fear of the unknown, just wanting to feel accepted, or the pressure to perform because of your parental control ; it's not worth your life.

When we are feeling this out of place, this sad and worried, it's almost impossible to narrow down why one is feeling this way. But go through the list of things in your life and whatever it out of place needs to be your plan of attack first and that might be terrifying, but feel the fear and do it anyway.


I have so much I wish I could share with these students and not because I think I'm high almight but because I know from personal experience to this day so much of the thoughts cycling in that brain and not knowing or having the tools or resources to heal or find relief in more natural ways and not annihilating your body with alcohol. And I say that to those of you who know your binge drinking likely because you have no idea what's going on in your life right now you're just trying to "roll with it"- I don't say that harshly. No matter what age you are sometimes we still don't know what the heck we want out of life so we just take a leap of faith and it ends us up here..

You can see this as a challenge or a door of opportunity to overcome what you once thought was unbearable and see for yourself just how strong you truly are. No matter what that might take form as or look like..
I stopped drinking and graduated so I could move on to what I really wanted in life. What's your plan?

No comments:

Post a Comment