Saturday 29 October 2016

Choice

I have lots going on. But this class, these kids- they KNOW when I am not there and they wonder and "worry". Consistency with kids is key.

I had my one little guy come up to me and say MS RENNIE I NEED YOU IN MATH (never thought I'd see the day simply cause of the subject choice)
Are you here forever now?
Why weren't you here last Friday?
The other kids running up to me and hugging me simply to follow suit cause I know I have never met them but I'm all for it.
The kids ares supposed to ask for hugs. -agency rules- these kids need hugs I'm going yo hug them and when the teacher leaves I do tell them they know they can hug me because I advocate for them. Not the teachers and frankly we could all use a hug or two. These kids haven't seen me in weeks they all want to run and jump it's the best.

It rebooted my energy for my program. Reminded me I can still do it all.




When I was younger I would mark my friends pretend tests and now I'm marking my one classes- there are times I have to look in the super smart kids book to double check. Win some ya lose some. I just love being apart of it. The kids quickly adapt and understand my role and because I'm back in school learning even more I notice even more. That is cool to apply. I just do it in my head and write it down. Almost as if I was doing my placement again in an elementary school but I'm going intrusive 

Intrusive is as it sounds. It's intrusive and intense. Child and family services, crisis, shelters, foster parents, crown ward.... so how do you convince these kids you're not just in it for the money, that we actually care and want to be there that will be my challenge.. without showing them a. we don't make much and b. we are paying to be here right now hahahaha! 

The important part for me is I'm doing it. I almost, almost gave in. Almost dropped the ball. 
Made some emails and got my shit together. Unlike Laurier I know I can do this work. 
 I did this duty to report phone call- in case of abuse or neglect- I got perfect. And I'm not sitting here being like yay my marks are super awesome as this year the work load is such I'm just trying to remain above a 60 to pass. Perfectionism will not get me this semester. As my friend Megan re-iterated to me the other day "coco you have a damn degree..." and plus your marks don't matter it's what you do in the field or in the moment that counts. 

Keep on keepin on...
Love Dorothy 

No comments:

Post a Comment