Monday 25 January 2016

This. Is. ENOUGH

It all starts with bullying. It starts when people use their words in obscene manners, or feel it necessary to ridicule people because they can. T
This. IS. Enough.
"Why don't you take one of your precious guns and do the world a favour and kill yourself?"
To anyone who thinks that's ok, who uses this phrase in passing- ITS NOT OK. Moreover, this kid told everyone on his bus, his "friends," his bus driver and no one took him seriously enough. No mother or father should have bury their child, especially when circumstances such as this can be avoided
"If I had 30 more minutes, I would wrap him in my arms and let him know how much he meant to so many people..he did matter..he does matter..."
DO something. Tell somebody. Give them their 15 minutes, validate them. Do not be a bystander and if you don't want to intervene you talk to an adult.

If you know that your son or daughter is either being bullied or is a bully-- be the bigger person. It's not funny anymore, and to be honest it never really was. 
Each time I read these stories my heart races in anger/passion. How much of me wishes I could go nation wide and just talk to schools and not that I would ever want to single out bullies, but I wish I could find a way to impact their choices; the ones that make them think it's ok to be that voice consistently and empower themselves. I get the behind scenes- maybe it's no good at home, insecurity is always a part of the problem, maybe doesn't have the best grades, could have a perfect role model but hates the world, maybe they are the bully and they don't want to be. 
Regardless:  THIS DOES NOT GIVE ANYONE PERMISSION TO COME DOWN ON THE NEXT GUY/GIRL. It blows my mind that kids tell kids to kill themselves. It makes me physically ill and so help the kid who ever says it in my path...Being a CYW I will use my professionalism to ensure that kid does not say it again and not because he or she has been told no, but because they have been educated on the consequences for themselves, their family and the person they hurt and their family. Suicide, mental illness-- it affects us all 
Find the news story here: http://www.channel955.com/onair/mojo-in-the-morning-53961/this-boy-killed-himself-because-of-13634569/

Now, have a safe and KIND Monday. 
I'm off to Coach my first basketball team. 
Love, 
Coach Rennie 

No comments:

Post a Comment