Tuesday 10 January 2017

Why I Share

I am asked from time to time "how" I speak so openly about my experiences, on my blog, in public forums, or within 15 seconds of meeting a person. The best way to answer this, or more accurately,  is to answer WHY I do it.

How? I talk or type, write with my pencil. I collect my thoughts about what it is I am trying to say; I use words and combine them into sentences that represent what I am thinking in my head and I am fortunate enough that what I have to say resonates with so many people and what they happen to believe or experience. Why do I do it? Because I challenge the status quo, as I believe it can be challenged for the better of all those affected directly or indirectly by mental health/illness, substance abuse, heartbreak, good days, bad days-- being human. And we don't need to hear anymore stats or facts to know that this negative stigma, the hopelessness and helpless are out there. BUT YOU ARE NOT ALONE! BELIEVE ME!

 #LifeOfDorothy

I share my stories because I believe they have the capacity to provide hope, end stigma or maybe allow insight to perspectives that often go unnoticed. We matter, our stories matter, our lives matter.

Carrie Fisher was a hell of an advocate and even she believed that heartache should be turned into art, or some form of creative expression. That's what this is. I take the painful and the sad and use it as my purpose, I'm still here right? I'm still telling my story. That's what I share, my story, I'm a story teller.

But again, my why is just my core belief in talking about what is important right now and what has weight meaning to readers (or believers!)

I know, I've been told I'm not funny-- I try.

Short and Sweet
Dorothy Is Out

No comments:

Post a Comment