Monday 19 December 2016

Young Minds

When we grow up we're directed into ways that more often than not prevent us from taking risks, reaching our destiny, or aquiring a dream. We have young and "day dreaming" minds....(ya right)

Maybe we feel like we weren't given a fair chance; the classic "no that's not practical ," or you're sick, finances, family member was sick, or maybe we're "ok" with how our lives are right now because they're not so bad. And your right on the latter, life really isn't that bad when you take a look around and see what you do have versus what you don't. Right? Let's be mature about this and use our adult thinking... Now hold this thought..Life is ok.

Maybe you look around and see A job, family, money, a house, a car, a garden, a fish, friends, a cottage. 1000% those are wonderful and none those  pieces of life should not be taken for granted. But neither should time.

Ultimately we are all going to die, as Jobs said it's life change agent. It provides room for those of us who want to make an influence in a world fed by tradition and historical culture. And this is where I become perplexed because as much as people say they are willing to change or to shoot for the stars, how many of us actually follow through on that and do the the right thing for themselves. Trudeau just lied and sold out to a corporate business(laments terms) and hell, Canada still doesnt have a gosh darn national suicide strategy plan.  And I'm just going to say it, Trump is president. So enough with the I cants, the young mind bull crap, millennial assumptions and go after what YOU want. Personal Power.

Bring that thought back in or why you cannot or have not been able to fulfill a piece or part of your life because I'm here to tell you, you can. But only YOU can. Don't get me wrong, it's way easier said than done. But that whole authentic truth and living your own destiny, that is possible.

 Martin Luther King didn't have a dream, he was the dream. To stand up and advocate for a group of HUMAN BEINGS that we're undoubtedly segregated and marginalized. While it has been in action, it has yet to be put to rest. Steve jobs didn't know how much time he had on this earth, but he wasn't afraid of taking unorthodox risks that by in large changed the world and our communication systems; his thinking was "too different," for others to see, but he saw it and now everyday I am able to creatively express myself through my blog, listening to music, or able to take neat photos. I can see my mom in Beamsville or if my brothers in a good mood I'll FaceTime him in Australia! How wild is that.

That's called influence. Everything around us is made up by people no smarter than you and I. They pushed limits and while they were adults about it, I'm sure we can all agree, especially with my man Jobs, there were times where they needed to take a break to embrace their inner child and reboot. Find joy, inspiration.


I'm told all the time "Oh to be young again," listen lady you had your shot too. I'm 25. And yes, over the past 3 years I've become increasingly more aware but that's all because of my willingness to pursue self growth and listening to my "hunches."

When I look at where I was this time last year it looks nothing like I expected.

2015 to 2016 : just introduced to Woodstock and the Best college program ever, living in the Bauer lofts in Waterloo like I had "always wanted," I was in a relationship which at the time I was completely happy with (until my mom one day mentioned Easter weekend plans and after 3 years I felt like I was married) splitting Christmas, spending time and energy in a lot of environments with people that are great people but serve absolutely 0 purpose in my life and life purpose (sunlife Xmas party, that's not against the people at all, just the environment that's a personal opinion no big).



Afraid of what my life would look like if I went out on my own, was I going to become a child and youth counsellor already? I was jut getting the momentum of speaking aloud and telling my story...
I loved being in the class with the kids but I still didn't feel like it was enough...I felt good when I got home, content, always a day well spent. I felt good going to the school or placement knowing I was the Justin Bieber of CYCs. My favourite fan club.

 2016 to 2017: Broke my heart, moved out on my own to a foreign small town where I found peace in my self and the things around me. In other words, the unknowing of it all. It was fun discovering Woodstock and myself in the process. SICKNOTWEAK Stock happened and seeing Landsberg up there saying how important it is we share our stories, I couldn't stop thinking about this and the organization. I loved what it stood for.

I had to figure out a ton of big girl things, including how to properly take care of myself and nourish myself, while maintaining physical activity for my brain. But rather than running everyday I Dance or do some fun workouts-switch it up because I can. Still not drinking alcohol and boy does that help.

One of the most challenging experiences was when I realized I had to be the one to make the final decision about my program and whether it was worth the risk. When I asked for the withdrawal papers I was informed that was the last day to hand them in, and thanks to my new found love and faith in coincidence, early childhood dream of being on a stage, astrology and numerology I withrdrew. I can go back but I know what these disorders are, after getting an 82 on a physical component I said "I've got this for now, maybe it's time to try something like my hobbies,"

Exactly as one of my horoscopes read, I'm pursuing what I want without having to "conform" to society's expectations, my spirit feels free, excited and loving each day contrary to anxious and consistently uncertain. I am working towards a goal that has always been apart of me and who I am. I have the most amazing people in my circle right now and not one of them makes me feel bad for being who I am, pursuing what I need, encouraging me when I don't even know I need it, or taking the risk that I did- leaving everything I know for what I believe in. And ya people who love you support you, but I'm not switching from BMO to TD, I'm going from history to cyc to an event coordinator, operator, helper, make it poossibler (haha) BUT YOU BEST BELIEVE THIS IS GOING TO BE ONE HELL OF A RIDE BECAUSE IM A DREAMER AND A DOER! And a Dorothy.

Having a young mind is nothing but an advantage. Talking to a pharmacy group the other day I was told I have "wisdom that is almost concerning," and I'm humbled by that. But too, a lot of my knowledge and perspectives come from tragedy, suffering, watching children suffer and not being able to do anything about it. I used to think I was sooooo unintelligent. Problem is, that young mind and dream of mine almost got away.

I know what I want and I've taken some weird routes to try and get there, but I'm getting there. I trust my crazy ideas and I know I will influence this world. And I really hope it continues through my mental health work. Not every day is perfect but I'm living my life according to my terms and that's how I get the most use of my personal power.


I'm also no longer afraid to speak up, lovingly, and take action where I see fit versus feeling like I'm just apart of the temporary bandaid.

I'm glad I stuck around to tell my story and share bits and pieces. I'm grateful I'm still alive.
But even more than that, I'm beyond thankful for the current opportunities and what's coming my way next year. I'm going to get loud.

This is my shot, and one day I want to look a young woman in the eyes and rather than saying oh you're so young, it's nice to have someone young in the room, I'm going to give her a high five or fist pump whatever is trendy and say "YOU GO GIRL! WAY TO TAKE THE BULL BY ITS HORNS!"

Thank you Landsberg.  Thanks for your faith.


I'm being the change I wish to see in the world, put simply. You should too!

Love Dorothy








No comments:

Post a Comment