Sunday 6 November 2016

Why SickNotWeak? I thought I'd share. #SpreadTheWord

In recent weeks I've been in contact with Michael Landsberg regarding his organization, SickNotWeak. The philosophies, the attitudes, the perspectives, those snap shot images with words so simple, yet so life changing in that moment; I love it. I remember the first time I heard of SNW it was because of their name. I thought "who ever branded that was a damn well genuis!" I have had the opportunity of going to one of their most awesome events here in Woodstock #SickNotWeakStock and on November 21st they are holding another event in Peterborough and I was asked to help with live auction items and I honestly am so thrilled. I then received this application email and I never take these lightly. They asked me 6 questions, why SN, why events, do you or someone you know suffer with a mental illness, can you drive. That's cool, but I went my own way and I thought I would share it on my blog because I share everything. It's my story told differently, with an aim towards reaching the reader in an empowering way. I want to be apart of something bigger than myself and I think I'm on the way... 
Why SickNotWeak


By Dorothy Colleen Rennie

 “One person can make a difference in this world, and everyone should try.” JFK
Below is a response to your questions regarding my volunteer position with #SickNotWeak This may be unorthodox or unconventional, but I wanted to demonstrate just how passionate I really am and that’s by telling my truth through one of my favourite methods of communication; writing.

Two and a half years ago I made a decision that would alter my life forever. Though, at the time it felt like hell I quit drinking to finally face the fears of my ADHD, depression and anxiety that held me back from living my greatest potential. Had I known what I know now, I would have tried advocating for others and myself a long time ago, but I’m making up for it as you read this. First, let me rewind.
 I was at Wilfrid Laurier studying communications till I got so physically and mentally ill I could not go to class. I felt like a failure, I was way too afraid to face the students, the professor and so I thought “cool, lets just try working from my apartment, while the rest of the student body goes to class.” As you can already tell, I was not thinking about what I needed or wanted, it was about how the outside, societal view and those expectations that kept me in this dark shade of “you’re not going to make it,” combined with my anxiety. Anxiety disorder is the umbrella of a wide range of anxiety disorders, but core characteristics being debilitating thoughts of worry and fear and the catastrophic thoughts of your future going no where. Who knew! Doesn’t that make some sense.
            I became very isolated and rather hopeless in this time, and not solely because of my illnesses; I didn’t even think about them or take them that seriously, but because I felt so misunderstood. My feelings in my head and my body were so real, yet I try talking to any teacher and it was “better get a doctors note,” which I understand, students take advantage of class all the time, I’m no angel. However, this task cost me money and traveling time and just anxiety ridden feelings consistently for simply asking for an extension for homework and then going to the doctor to say, “I need a note. Again” Trying to seek help in the counsellor’s office was no better, as that was a ticking time bomb given the lack of resources, help and time allotted. I was told I would be put on a waiting list and by then I wasn’t even going to be in school, it was summer. Till the day came where I was asked to leave after my first year because my GPA was not high enough.
Did I mention I never wanted to go to university in the first place? I wanted to go to college and study fashion, but I was told I couldn’t go to college until I got through university first. Familial expectations are hard to escape, so I did what I was told. Once I was asked to leave, however, I was ready throw in the towel but something made me appeal my case and I continued to study, switched programs and ultimately graduated with a bachelor’s degree in History after 4.5 years.
I took a lot away from those years, definitely understanding historical perspectives gave me lenses I was not previously able to comprehend and it was somewhat useful. For example, my father grew up after WWII and during these times it was “the personal is political,” or “be a man”—they had influencers such as Dr. Spock and not from StarTrek, the one who wrote about how to raise a baby and only referenced males, with the exception of the target audience being directed towards the female caregiver (mother). I walked out not liking what our world had come to and how we dealt with problems because from my textbooks it was all very violent and inhumane. Nevertheless, the most important lesson I took away was that in order to do great work you have to love what you do (and it was not history) and for some apparent reason I could not understand at the time, I loved talking about my feelings and emotions. I loved being able to support the sufferer so I did not settle to become a lawyer, I finally went to college to obtain some skills and certification so I could actually be apart of the youth development.  

Becoming sober provided me with the clarity I needed to really see, for the first time, what I wanted to do or the direction I wanted to head towards and that is mental health.  I know what it is like to experience the emotional components of a learning disability and that it doesn’t just affect your schooling, it affects all areas of your life. I used to think I was “stupid,” when in reality I just was not paying attention to what I wanted out of this life. I didn't recognize how many symptoms and effects that one disability could have on me. And those who struggle with ADHD often find they are clinically depressed and anxious too AND I'll bet its because similar to me, they do not understand and no one is informing them. 
 I could shovel advice out to my friends and they would say things like “you should go into counselling,” and I shrugged it off. I am now studying to become a child and youth care counsellor because those people were right. I am good at having this conversation because I understand. I empathize. I ooze compassion for those individuals who do tell me their story because it is not easy, but my goodness can it have a powerful impact. I love hearing peoples stories, I think they are so beautiful and bold in their own ways. 
I loved having in depth conversations about people’s life stories, as they were all so similar to mine but growing up we never got to talk about it. Whenever there was a problem, say my mom was having another alcoholic episode my dad called me instead of a professional because “we knew them all,” and I'm guessing that made my dad apprehensive of his status. On the outside we had this façade of a happy family that was healthy and whatever, but we were all miserable.  I liked to seek and find music I could relate to because it would inspire me in those moments of despair not to give up, to find a creative outlet like these artists where I can try and use my voice and become aware of what I was feeling.
What started out as a personal blog created on a whim on a Sunday turned into a place where my current social circles seek to relate on a constant basis and I am not afraid to admit that because I put my vulnerability out there and the responses I get back sometimes are just out of this world amazing.  (Thanks GUYS!) I just sit there wondering why more people are not doing this, speaking out, challenging the status quo, normalizing and humanizing these conversations, putting themselves on the line for a greater outcome than themselves. I'm proud to say I am now a voice that speaks out about what I experience both personally in my mental health and what I observe from an objective standpoint, I feel its in part my responsibility to do be that person and I do not take that lightly nor do I put pressure on myself, as this is my life. I am sick, not weak. 
I know there is someone out there who similar to myself has yet to recognize that these illnesses we face, we do not have to face alone. More importantly, they do not make us less than or different—they make us unique and altruistic, especially when we find meaning and hope in it all.  And in a world filled of celebrity exposure and how to be like them, I would choose myself over and over again. Why? Because those experiences made me who I am today and have provided me with the ability and passion to see that I have purpose, especially as a result of my illnesses. I want to be apart of a movement that allows future generations see just how incredibly super human they can be regardless of what we carry. We are warriors. We don’t need a cape, we do not need billions of dollars to make ourselves happy or change or be the prettiest girl with the best body because those are all external entities that have nothing do with our internal being and soul. Those things will not make one happy. We make ourselves happy and I do that by empowering others to believe in themselves.
This past January I applied for Miss Universe Canada on spontaneous whim thinking “maybe I could use my voice on this platform,” and I did. I might not have fit the Miss Universe criteria, but I was crowned Miss Congeniality and in my eyes that’s the golden ticket. I cannot dance for the life of me, but I gave it a shot—I am Sandra Bullock. I walked in a bikini in front of hundreds of people, though my entire childhood I was that girl who wore a shirt over her bathing suit thinking her baby fat was actual fat. The only reason I did this was for my younger self. I subconsciously needed to find that faith and hope in a situation I was so unfamiliar with; I’m a soccer player, going from cleats to 6 inch heels was a transition, I had a panic attack the day of, but I went for it. I didn’t give up.  Moreover, I was the only contestant who threw an event that did not coordinate with their charity, not because I am a rebel, but rather my mind got so excited the moment I heard “throw a fundraiser,” I just went right for CMHA and raised $2800.
(Then I found out I didn’t even have to do that! But I am glad I did)
I want to be apart of the events committee because I know I will add to your team. I know that my passion, energy and values are not far off from the rest of the team as even Michael claimed, “I just love the energy you bring to the issue that I feel so energetic about!  We could have a duel "Landsberg versus Rennie... Who brings the most energy?"” AND I WOULD! It’s on.
 We all instinctively know why we want to be apart of an organization such as #SickNotWeak we are building communities of people and bringing them together to find hope, meaning, good conversation, a hug, anchoring faith and love because they matter. Similar to the idea of not facing your mental illness alone, our communities cannot face this alone. Being in Woodstock now I am determined to raise the awareness and sense of a mental health community that cares, that is not afraid to be open and authentic knowing that we all share similar threads. Time to unite us all and I think it is my time to be apart of your team. I hope this non intentional essay demonstrates a glimpse of that.




No comments:

Post a Comment