Wednesday 3 June 2015

Living Works

Last year I went to an open discussion in Guelph, Ontario which allowed locals from the community to participate on the topic of Suicide Prevention. In previous months, I wrote a blog article about the discussion, specific topics, and what we as a community, bystanders, loved ones could do to help implement more safety and resources for those individuals at risk.


One of the big themes I spoke about was the 2 day class for Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training. I've come to recognize that I am your typical example of having preventative measures or resources available, but never using it due to my own stubbornness. Well, my friends, that stubbornness no longer exists-- or at least not to the degree it once was, as I have officially become a trained suicide interventionist. YEP! ME! The girl who has fallen victim to suicide twice has taken the necessary steps to ensure #1 I do not commit this act again and #2 Now I can be that person who intervenes with confidence and a plan.

This also means at any point in time I could be called in to do an intervention. Furthermore, the schools I work at will benefit from me due to the fact that I have this knowledge and this particular skill set that is doable unless you take this course.


Talk to me. If you or someone you know is struggling, I'm right here. Everything is confidential, I am a vault. I know what it is like to put your life and trust in the hands of someone else, and how easily that can be taken away, or turned into mistrust. That is not who I am. I care. I want to support you and help you, and I need you to take me seriously when I say this whether through a screen or in person.

Love,
Dorothy aka Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment