Thursday 18 June 2015

We Have Fun

Yesterday afternoon, and until the evening, I had the opportunity to meet an incredibly kind, caring, soft spoken, wise, loving, and sober Grandfather. I say Grandfather, as I never met my grandfather's growing up. I met my Dad's step father, who I treated as my own, but he passed maybe 8 years ago? Regardless, within seconds of meeting him he asks if I will be joining them that evening to hear him speak and I enthusiastically replied "Of course! You Kidding? Why do you think I'm here?!" and he asks "are you apart of the program?" No, but I have been sober 11 months! AND HE GAVE ME A MASSIVE HUG AND CHEERED!

We did not stop talking until dinner time, so a solid 5 hours. I could listen to people's stories all day long, and I'm not talking their stories about going to the grocery store and having a crappy cashier, I'm talking LIFE stories.

It is very rare that when telling someone you are not a drinker, organic or sober--whatever you want to call it, that they celebrate or make any gesture of congratulations. It's like whenever you tell someone you broke up with someone they tilt their head and go "Oh no." that's the typical response but "Oh. Really? Like you don't drink at all? Not even one glass? Can't you just have one?" Absolutely! I can have as many as I'd like, but all that does is pull me down, or kill me. Not to mention, it's very seldom you find individuals my age who, whether in recovery or not, can have just 1 glass.  And that's ok! That's their life, their business, thats what makes THEM happy! I'm happy for you!

So Grandpa and I are talking all the darn day long about Alcoholics Anonymous and I've only been to two AA meetings, once in Toronto and now once in London. Too, I have attended WFS twice (women for sobriety), which is the service my mother mediates! I love that group. Women supporting women, non judgmental, casual, no rewards or chips involved. And again, that's a preference. Some individuals enjoy the spiritual aspect of AA, and the 12 steps, where others prefer to just talk it out and come up with solutions alongside a page of 13 statements. Personally I am not very religious, but I do believe in a greater divine, or a higher power if you will, so I fit in just fine. It's almost impossible not to fit in, as the alcoholic can be of any gender, race, ethnicity, religious background, mental illness....If you're human you fit in.

Next month, July 9th, I will be 1 year sober. Again, some people don't like counting how many months or years they've been sober due to pressure, and I think that would eventually wear on me, but last night I really did not mind it. I have really learned to embrace a lot of the opportunities and experiences I have been exposed to over the past few months, and with that said, I received my first 24hr coin (better late than never I guess) and 11 month coin!!!!! A young woman went to the front and said "is there anyone in this room who is eleven months sober?" and I lightly put up my hand, I was only there to see my grandfather speak so I thought nothing of it, and all of a sudden the room full of 50 people start clapping for me and my friend is pushing me up to get out of my seat and go to the podium, and I did. And I was given a pretty turquoise coin.

Following that moment of absolute pride and smile my grandfather was up to speak. He is absolutely hilarious, he had the whole room laughing, smiling, it was infectious!! And then near the end of his speech, he made a point of drawing everyone's attention towards me again and saying "This young woman over here, my granddaughter of today, is 11 months sober. (everyone clapped, I'm crying happy tears) and he ends with the advice he was once given "this will take you on a journey of your wildest dreams, and if you stick to the program and work your steps you will make it(to which he added) and if you don't believe me keep coming back and prove me wrong!


What a ride so far...



No comments:

Post a Comment