Tuesday 19 May 2015

Doing good things

Last week I had the pleasure of helping/coordinating a bracelet sale at one of the schools I work at.

In order to go to camp my little guy had to raise $20.00 to "pay it forward" as his teacher was granted money therefore able to pay for all trips in that class. So beginning of April I went to dollarama and bought a basic bead kit, some string, and we began making these little bracelets/key chains. After our first session C (my little guy) said to me "are we really going to do this?" And I said "are you kidding? Heck yes we are." 

That night I went home and really had to think about what we would had to do/organize. Slowly I began to realize that maybe his doubts were not so much in the project but both of our overall commitment. You see, this kid is one of a kind. The type of kid who would gladly do anything for anyone--but not until this year. 
Last year he was your classic trouble maker, cussing at his teacher, not getting all that good of grades, he disliked school very much. So whenever I came to visit initially I just let him play what he wanted which was sports such as basketball. I love basketball so we played a bunch! Guess who got all "wows" and overall A+ in basketball?! HE DID! And guess who sold bracelets? WE DID! 

I made sure I was there every week. No excuses not even my mental health as I did that enough in March. I had to be there this time! We started getting orders and our business blew up. We ended up collecting over $150, and his confidence, self esteem, entrepreneurial ship was absolutely priceless. 


Doing good things feels amazing. Seeing his face was priceless. 

Do good Dorothy 

No comments:

Post a Comment