Wednesday 25 February 2015

C.H.I.C.A.G.O!

Tomorrow I begin my short visit to see my childhood best friend, Paige! This will be my first vacation of 2015, but also my first vacation without the intentions of going to see a friend and get wild. Fortunately, Paige is one of the only friends I have who is, well, Paige.

What I mean to say by that is, since a very young age, I would like to say since grade 3 we have known each other, and we are very comfortable and happy together. Non stop laughter, particularly in reminiscing of old times. We call each other Ketchup and Friesth-- she loves/cannot live without Ketchup, and I feel the same way about french fries so THERE YA HAVE IT! Too, she is the only person who I can call BAWLING my eyes out and she'll just listen on the other side. Ugh I just love her to bits, I mean how sweet is that?

The best part about our nick names, I must admit, is that they stem from 1 summer where we were so bored, Swiss Chalet was our daily lunch routine. Every darn day we went looking for change, whatever we could gather for a quarter chicken breast white meat combo and a side caesar salad (and that chalet sauce!)

One of my favourite tales was when we were in grade 4, and we went through some "drama!*!*!". You see, during this time she was dating a boy named Bowen and of course I liked him too. Rather than telling Bowen, who I sat beside in class everyday (persistence not resistance- jk) I wrote a letter on Paige's behalf, without her consent, knowledge, or let alone friendship, saying "I want to break up with you- Paige"

It didn't work.

Maybe it was the lack of love in the letter, but likely it was due to my very poor, sought out plan. It took a few months for her to "get over it," but she did. And we quickly began to realize we would have a lot more fun being friends than enemies.

Anyways, she is the girl that knows every little detail about myself, my family, and is super aware of my mental health + priorities (as well as the stories that accompany it as she was there) So when I think of heading down to the U.S., I feel this amazing sense of comfort knowing that I'm going to this amazing city, I get to see PAIGE (this never happens), who is without a doubt one of the most amazing human beings on this earth!

Paige is unlike any friend I have. The time we spent together, which was predominately during high school, she split her time between seeing myself or going to hockey. Literally those two options, with the exception of seeing other friends from time to time. We were attached at the hip-- everything we did we had to do it together, and if I was going away or vice versa we'd send emails back and forth every day saying we missed one another. When I found out my house was going up for sale and we were moving from everything and everyone I ever knew, she consoled me. Her dedication to hockey, while admirable, took her extremely far and I don't just mean skill wise, I mean distance! Off to New Hampshire she went and so did I, once.

Hopefully when she sees me this time she'll be more excited, as last time she was not a happy camper and not because of me! If you know her, or anyone who is crazy for the sport the play, when they lose a game, no matter what good news you have, say for example your best friend surprising you from Canada, they will not be thrilled about it. That was five years ago, and this time she's only demanding I mail her her favourite Canadian chips before I come, as my suit case won't be able to fit all of them.

See what I mean? The concern for chips is what makes her so special. Not my wine, not clothes, just some chips and candy people. LETS GO!

THSEE YA SOON!
THSEEEEE YAAAAAA!!!!!

-Friesth <3


No comments:

Post a Comment