Saturday 23 April 2016

Miss Universe Western Ontario Pageant PT. I



Where do I begin?
My day started off beautifully, I woke up feeling excited and nervous, but ready to go. Knowing I had yet to get my custom made dress fitted I jetted down the 401, as I had to make a quick stop in Oakville. It's never a quick stop, but chiefly because that's when it hit me that my toes and nails were in serious need of a clean up (great day to choose) so I flew down the street to Sunny's Nails and got my toes and nails all did. From there I had a 3 hour and a half drive to Windsor.

I had to be at this restaurant called Mezzo by 5:30. Knowing I wasn't going to make it on time I called my director and he ever so kindly re assured me that I would be fine. It doesn't start till 6:00 and if need be he can put me in the second batch or group of girls to be interviewed, which obviously I would do if I had to, but I arrived literally with 3 seconds to go, all my girls were lined up; my director, Sonny, asked if I needed a breather (I GOT READY IN MY CAR, DRESS AND ALL) AND I SAID NOPE! LETS DO THIS! I work best under pressure anyways...As Chelsea Durocher saw me come flying in and without a hesitation say I'm ready for this, she exclaimed "I love this girl" and took my purse for me. That little line gave me the biggest boost, because I could tell she understands my desire and will to really dedicate myself and take chances.

I have no idea what my lipstick looked like or if it was on my teeth, but I think every chance I had I asked a contestant. BUT THAT DIDN'T MATTER! 12 judges, 5 minutes each, judging how we respond, our character, our posture, how we walk to the next table... I don't know why we were all so nervous, as it was AWESOME! I got to talk about me and reflect on why I am here and what I want to do. I was appreciated by these individuals for my advocating and often thought of as Irish.

Whenever someone asked where I was from, or read Beamsville on my bio, I'd often get "Beamsville? Where the hell is Beamsville?" and naturally I laughed with them, as that was my reaction when I first heard I was moving there. But one gentlemen, without knowing my history background goes "Wasn't there some 1812 war events down there?" AND I SURE LET HIM KNOW! AND THEN I SAID AND WE WON THE WAR! CANADA NOT AMERICA! He responds "sistah! you don't need to tell me I live in Windsor. Fort Windsor?" GOT IT BROTHA!
ANYWAYS,
It went so well
off to practice..to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment