Wednesday 25 May 2016

Social Media Advocacy

IThis past march I threw a fundraising event for the Canadian Mental Health Association. This event was a total success, as I could feel the energies from the entire room when each speaker spoke-- we made a dent in the universe alright! 

While I was there I had a lovely woman by the name of Hanan who is the Editor In Chief for Corporita Magazine. We had discussed a variety of topics and then she kindly asked if she could send me some virtual interview questions and naturally I said YES! 

I have not written a blog post in some time it feels so I thought I would share some of what I've been working on behind the scenes...Here is a very brief excerpt from the article that will be in July's Entrepreneurial Issue. Below is 1 question with the introduction....
Enjoy :) 
xox  


She has the looks and the brains. The tall slim with porcelain complexion and rosy cheeks, Colleen Rennie knows how to capture your attention. Once she starts talking about the causes she supports, you cannot stop admiring her courage.
Corporita Magazine Editor-in-Chief met Colleen Rennie - Miss Universe Canada 2016 Delegate – and advocate for mental health and many other causes in her event “A Day in the Land of Oz”, Colleen raised awareness and money for the Canadian Mental Health Association with Sabaina Malik (#BossBabe) and Paulie O'Byrne, CEO and Founder of I'm 1 in 5.

Q. You self-declare your belief in social media advocacy; in your opinion, would social media be able to change the ways we provide care and counselling to vulnerable groups in Canada?

I get asked all the time why I choose to share my life online, over Facebook + My Blog and Instagram primarily and I have to be honest with you. 

There are some days where I ask myself the exact same question; I question why someone would want to hear my story or if I should just be living instead of sharing with the world my relative feelings, thoughts and emotions that may or may not provide normalcy and influence to their every day lives. We all get caught up in limiting beliefs + have moments where we question the decisions or choices we are presently making- what if they're all wrong? What if it doesn't work out? What if none of that happens...


I've attracted people solely due to my story and the likelihood of similarity they found in my journey that is apart of them self. You and those individuals are the driving force behind my writing, my doing, my spreading, my sharing AND are (in some way shape or form, the hopeful, open Colleen thinking) the main reason why I continue to post openly about my journey {good, bad, and the ugly) over social media. I'm just listening to a voice that is that little reminder to take a chance, risk- trust your gut."

To some people I’m not interesting or maybe I over do it, but I am the only thing I have to offer and my originality. And I want to offer something and by offering myself in a true way I am doing a great service to my fellow warriors because it is rare and it will help.

Historically, the voice of the one’s who were crazy enough to speak up in spite of what others tried to say or do to sabotage their thinking, such as Martin Luther King, Steve Jobs, Ellen Degeneres, Abraham Lincoln, My Favourite: Beyonce were a critical component of any social movement or change in society and how we have come to perceive the world(interesting order I know). They were the pioneers in uniting a great majority of the world to see the chaos and tragedy-- the injustice-- through their lens and bring order to that. Yet, discrimination, racism--it still exists, just not nation wide and legal, yet not enough has changed for our fellow humans.

The audiences you can reach- there are no limitations. I have readers from all over the world and even typing that sounds bizarre because I still don't believe it, but people need relativity. They need connection and to feel like they belong. 

 I battle to de-stigmatize the issues around mental health and I have faith in myself, my voice and what I have to say. How I can try and change the course of peoples thinking with a little shift, though it does not give me much hope when I hear people of my age being called the N word by a stranger who has zero business. LIKE REALLY? YOU'RE SO 2000 AND LATE BUDDY. 

Just last week I was speaking with a professional support network who disclosed a new endeavour she is courageously taking on while she spends time in Mexico, which is to offer free counselling to First Nation communities out west. I am lucky to have found myself surrounded by people with goals that just happen to align with mine, but that is because I truly believe I am on my path of my life’s purpose. And trust me—it’s not always glamorous, but it feels so darn good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment