Thursday 4 September 2014

Steve Jobs

A while back I was listening to this song called L.I.F.E by Rous, I am not familiar at all with that artist/dj/music producer, but I gave it a shot anyway. It started off with a calming "beat" to it, then within 2 minutes of the song, a man began to speak. I remember this so clearly, as I was getting ready to go out and I was sad. I was down about life and school, and my blues caught up to me. Suddenly, this voice spoke and I was completely mesmerized. "When life hits in you the head with a break, don't lose faith."


Ironically, the male voice who was speaking these words was Steve Jobs. Moreover, it was the speech he had given to the graduating class of 2002 from Stanford University, which I have seen/heard before but evidently didn't listen, or didn't care to listen. Knowing me, it's probably the latter option.

ANYWAYS! This is a little excerpt from his speech/this tune I listened to, and since, I play it to this day about once a day. Why? Because I felt like he was talking to me. For so long I had this idea in my head that I would get involved with the wine industry, as I really thought it was such a unique industry, and lets face it- Rennie Estate makes some mean wine! But deep down I never felt that sense of 'fulfillment' that many people would talk about in regards to their job/life, and to be completely honest, rather than listening to what my heart was telling me, I listened to what my head was saying which was: do what makes the most sense/my dad happy.

I always loved talking to people about their issues no matter the circumstances. I can confidently say that I am a good listener, and advice giver especially in the area of mental health, but also relationships-whether familial or romantic. I can still hear the few of my friends who would tell me how good I am at talking to people, and that I should consider a profession in counselling. At the time, however, I felt like that was beyond impossible. Remember how I kinda hated myself? Ya, that wasn't working in my favour. I have always known what I've wanted to do, but it took some crappy circumstances, and a speech by Steve Jobs to engage my intuition.

As of today, I am officially apart of the Canadian Mental Health Association. I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE IT! I have loads of school left, but this is an amazing start, and I could not be more excited to begin this journey!!!

Thank you, Jobs. Your words saved my life, even from the grave.

Love,
Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment