Friday 11 December 2015

All I Want For Christmas

Is for friends, family-- blood related or not, to come together and be just be present--live in the moment and enjoy it for whatever it is worth. Forget about the presents, though they're a total bonus. I think its fair to presume that our culture is often caught up in the media televised ideas of christmas versus creating their own tradition whether that be travelling, donating clothes or food, helping out at shelters-- it's a time to make everybody feel like a somebody and feel joy for no other reason than simply being alive. 

So this year, I started MY own tradition, which was to involve myself with the Angel Tree Christmas. Though these children are getting presents, they represent a tangible items of hope and love, as their parents are inmates or ex-offenders. This program seeks to reconcile and restore the lives of these families, as they are in the midst of what often feels like brokenness and loss. 
 

Does it make a difference for these families? Here is a glimpse of what one of our Sponsors from last year said about their experience as they delivered gifts:

“I had a wonderful experience! This was my first time participating, and it was the first time for the recipient as well. When I made the delivery during the week before Christmas, the recipient, who was very grateful, conveyed to me that their incarcerated loved one had asked them to watch for a special call/delivery, and even subsequently checked up to find out if it had occurred. I was encouraged by the keen anticipation on the part of the inmate and blessed by the realization that I had been given the privilege of playing a part in fulfilling the request -- what a testimony to the God who hears and answers the requests of ones who may feel forgotten! Thank you for the opportunity to be blessed!”

And here are some notes we received from inmates applying to the program:

“Thank you for your kindness. This is a very difficult time for my daughter and I. She suffers even though she did no wrong. Thank you for helping to make her Christmas special. You have no idea how much it means to me – and I’m sure to her as well. May God bless you”
“As a mother unable to spend Christmas with my son I deeply appreciate what you do for us who are in prison. No child deserves to suffer for our mistakes or circumstances. I’ve spent three Christmas going on 4 now without seeing or being with my son.”

These are just some examples of the simple yet profound way a loving gesture, like what is expressed through Angel Tree Christmas, can have a positive and meaningful impact in the life of a child and a family-- these are the lives, after all, I'm dedicated to serving. 

Enjoy your holiday season, friends! 
Dorothy Clause 

No comments:

Post a Comment