Friday 17 October 2014

Music Therapy & Brothers

Music; cheap, easily accessible, and one of my personal favourite self-therapeutic remedies. 

I have playlists of all kind, for example, "chill out" or "feel it out" or "write away" or (you get it)- They all fit a particular mood I am in, which I can usually differentiate. The differences between them is solely due to the fact that, when I listen to music, I listen. I love words, so it's no surprise that I love embracing the lyrics in all types of music genres. I genuinely feel like they are talking to me, like many people do! 
 Most recently, I have been LOVING the soundtrack from the movie Begin Again featuring Keira Knightley, Adam Levine (so awesome in it) and Mark Ruffalo.  
(According to IMDB "This is a soul-stirring comedy about what happens when lost souls meet and make beautiful music together" ) THEY DO MAKE BEAUTIFUL MUSIC! If you're interested, below is a link to the whole soundtrack. Track # 1 by Adam Levine "Lost Stars" (there's about 3 or 4 different versions) but boy oh boy does he have an amazing voice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5_9YPRJ7aw

When I was in high school my favourite artist of all  time was Dallas Green, aka City and Colour. Every song and every lyric felt so relative and familiar. The lyrics, in particular, really brought me a sense of solitude due to the relatively of lyrics used, and in the context of my personal life. Often times, thoughts, feelings, perceptions, or actions can feel extremely unbearable, overwhelming, and certainly debilitating. The uncertainty and unfamiliarity is scary, but Green gave me the opportunity to realize that maybe what I was feeling was normal; or at least not as unfamiliar as I had originally anticipated.  (especially at 16, 17, 18)

In lieu of this, one of my bros brought to my attention a contemporary musician, whose music is somewhat similar to Green's music genre/style. This artist produced two songs solely dedicated to suicide prevention, and ultimately raising awareness. Though I've been introduced to music such as this my whole life, once my brothers moved out that was it-never heard it again until they came home so initially I knew this music must mean something to him if he was trying to contact me about it(clearly did not think he had the soundtrack of my winter blues months to introduce to me) 

 Anyways, my brother introduced this to me because he felt like "after hearing some of the things you said on the weekend you might have a deeper appreciation than some for the songs and their lyrics." And he was dead on.   

Anthony Green, lead singer of Circa Survive amongst his alternative independent label, produced two songs  that individuals can download for free OR purchase- all the proceeds go to the American Association of Suicide Prevention. 

This is what Anthony Green has to say: "I'm excited to share these two new songs with everyone. Music has always been my way of dealing with some of the loneliest and darkest times in my life and these songs helped me ring out some serious stuff that was going on in my head. I share them with you for free in hopes that if you are able you will help support the American association for suicide prevention. 100% of the donations will go to them. Ive had to deal first hand with the debilitating effects of suicide and depression is something I think effects everyone in one way or another. Please help spread the word about this organization."
(LINK BELOW TO SONGS AND WEBSITE) 
http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/anthony_green_releases_new_songs_with_all_proceeds_going_to_suicide_prevent 


I'd like to take a moment and dedicate this post to my brother, Evan. I understand that I am not at an award show or anything, but I am super friggen lucky to have him as my brother. That goes for both of them, really. But thanks, Ave. Love you buddy. (Picture of my brother Evan meeting his idol Anthony Green this past summer!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment